Shangqiu point (SP 5) belongs to the Spleen Meridian of Foot-taiyin.It commonly used for abdominal distension, bowel, diarrhea, constipation, indigestion, ankle pain, neuropathic vomiting, gastritis and enteritis, etc.
Location of ShangQiu Acupoint
In a depression distal and inferior to the medial malleolus midway between the tuberosity of the navicular bone and the tip of the medial malleolus.
Classification of ShangQiu Acupoint
Jing-River point of the Spleen Meridian.
Meaning of Shangqiu Point
Shangqiu:”Shang”,instrument of timing in acient. “Qiu”,ruin. The name of Shangqiu means that the Qi of Sleen Meridian go through quickly here. The substance of this acupoint is the wet wind-qi from SP 4(Gongsun). It goes up through the spleen meridian,but the channel of Qi of this acupoint is as small as a dripping hole,So the wind-qi pass through this acupoint quickly, and take away the spleen soil particles of this point,the soil of the spleen is as if ruins, hence the name.
What is ShangQiu Used for?
1.Digestive system diseases: gastritis, enteritis, indigestion, constipation, hemorrhoids, jaundice;
2. Movement system diseases: gastrocnemius spasm, ankle joint and surrounding soft tissue diseases, athlete’s foot;
3. Others: convulsions in children, whooping cough, edema.
Shangqiu Point Benefits
1. Shangqiu point is combined with Qihai point and Zusanli point: treat abdominal distension and bowel;
2. Shangqiu point is combined with Yinlingquan point, Ququan point and Yingu: soothing the liver and regulating Qi, epigastric pain and abdominal distension;
3. Shangqiu point is combined with Sanyinjiao:invigorating the spleen and Qi, and treating spleen deficiency and constipation;
4. Shangqiu point is combined with Tianshu point and Yinlingquan point: strengthening the spleen and dissipating dampness, and treating diarrhea and abdominal distension.
Shangqiu acupoint Therapy
1. Therapy rule: cold is to replenish by moxibustion, and heat is to relieve by acupuncture.
2. Massage: Pressing this point 3 to 5 times a day, 2 to 4 minutes each time, to treat various inflammations, and regular pressing of Shangqiu point will effectively maintain the breast and improve the chance of conception.
3. Acupuncture therapy: Straight puncture the Shangqiu point 0.5-0.8 cun.
4. Moxibustion therapy: Moxa moxibustion at Shangqiu point for 5-10 minutes.