The lung meridian of hand-Taiyin is one of the twelve meridians,and one of the meridians of hand three-yin. It is symmetrical to the large intestine meridian of hand-Yangming. upper connect to the Liver Meridian of Foot-Jueyin in the lungs, and lower connect to the Large Intestine Meridian of hand-Yangming at the index finger.The meridians are distributed on the front of the chest, the inner front of the upper limbs, and the radial side of the thumb. There are 11 acupuncture points on the left and right sides of the lung meridian, including:Zhongfu,Yunmen,Tianfu,Xiabai,Chize,Kongzui,Lieque,Jingqu,Taiyuan,Yuji and Shaoshang.
Lung Meridian Points pathway
This meridian starts from the gastric cavity of Middle-jiao, connects with the large intestine down, and then goes back along the upper part of the stomach, through the diaphragm, enters the lungs, and go across the lung system (trachea, throat) from the upper chest wall (Zhongfu) ), go to the armpit, along the front and outside of the upper arm, go outside the Heart Meridian of Hand-Shaoyin and Hand-Jueyin pericardium, down to the middle of the elbow (ChiZe), and then down the radial side of the forearm, to the place where the radial artery pulsates, Along the outer edge of the thenar the radial side of the thumb (Shaoshang). Its branches branch off from the upper radial styloid process of the back of the wrist (Lieque), and pass through the back of the hand to the radial end of the index finger (Shangyang). Th qi connects with the Large Intestine Channel of hand-Yangming.
Lung Meridian Points
Location:6 cun lateral to the anterior midline, level with the 1st ICS.
Usage:Lung diseases: cough, wheezing,fullness of the lungs, chest pain,coughing and vomiting, typhoid fever, throat numbness; bronchitis, bronchial asthma, lung abscess, tuberculosis;
Diseases in the parts of the meridians: shoulder and back pain, abdominal distension, etc.
Location:6 cun lateral to the anterior midline, below the clavicle in a depression medial to the coracoid process.
Usage:cough, asthma, chest pain, shoulder and back pain, etc.
Location:3 cun below the axillary fold on the radial side of the biceps brachii tendon.
- LV invading the LU pathologies.
- Generally for heat related issues whether from excess or deficiency – nosebleed, coughing blood.
- Window of the Sky Point, regulates head/body Qi flow – goiters, swellings in the neck.
- Lung related spirit disharmonies – stress induced asthma, poor memory, fuzzy/muddled thinking, depression, “floating corpse ghost talk”, “melancholy crying ghost talk” (classical descriptions possibly for seeing ghost, talking about ghosts a/or people who have died, being in constant long-term grief about someone who has passed, etc.).
Location:1 cun below LU 3 on the radial side of the biceps brachii muscle, on the LU 3 to LU 5 line.
Usage:Pain in the medial aspect of the upper arm.
May be used for cough, shortness of breath, chest pain, heart pain.
Location:At the cubital crease on the radial side of the biceps brachii tendon.
Usage:Cough, asthma, pneumonia, bronchitis, sore throat, heatstroke, elbow and arm swelling and pain, skin itching, allergies, acute mastitis, etc.
Location:7 cun above LU 9 on the line joining LU 5 and LU 9.
Usage:Respiratory diseases: asthma, hemoptysis, sore throat, fever, headache, cough, hoarseness, loss of voice, bronchitis, bronchial asthma, tuberculosis, pneumonia, tonsillitis.
Motor system disease:finger arthritis, intercostal neuralgia.elbow and arm pain.
Location:1.5 cun above the wrist crease, superior to the styloid process of the radius (not on the LU 5 – LU 9 line in TCM). Japanese LU 7 is found proximal to the styloid process and it is on the LU 5 – LU 9 line.
- As Master Point of the CV, paired with KD 6 of the Yin Qiao Mai – treats genitourinary and gynecological issues also Yin deficient sore throat.
- Pain of the thumb – Luo Connecting Point spreads over the thenar eminence.
- Internal Wind – bell’s palsy, twitching, spasms, lockjaw.
- Command Point of the Head and Posterior Neck – useful for any conditions involving these areas.
- Exterior Wind – body aches, chills/fever, runny nose, scratchy throat, sneezing.
Location:1 cun above LU 9 on the line joining LU 5 & LU 9.
Usage:Cough and wheezing,chess distress,chest pain, sore throat, wrist pain, palm heat, stiff neck.
Location:At the wrist crease on the radial side of the radial artery.
Usage:Cough and asthma, sore throat, chest numbness, wrist joint pain, and weak pulse.
Location:On the radial aspect of the 1st metacarpal at the midpoint of the bone at the junction of the red and white skin.
Usage:cough, hemoptysis, dry throat, sore throat, aphonia,palm heat, incoordination between spleen and stomach in children.
Location:0.1 cun posterior to the thumb nail on the radial side.
Usage:Sore throat, cough, wheezing, epistaxis; fever, heatstroke, vomiting, heart fullness; stroke, coma, madness, convulsions in children; numbness of fingers.