Long term shopping, climbing, and running comes with improper way, which will cause plantar fasciitis after a long time. Plantar fasciitis is mian heel pain, which can be serious trouble in our life. There are many ways to treat and relieve plantar fasciitis, such as:massage, physical therapy, hot and ice compress, medicine and acupuncture, etc.
In this post, we look at what pressure points for plantar fasciitis are, location, and how to stimulate them.You can try it these massage therapy,may there will be unexpected good results.
What Causes Plantar Fasciitis?
Plantar fasciitis is commonly caused by long-term overload pressure on the foot, causing acute or chronic damage to the plantar fascia.
- Age: usually occurs in group between 40 and 60 years old.
- Specific sports: such as long-distance running, long walking and mountain climbing, ballet, etc.
- Physiological factors: such as flat feet, high arch feet, etc.
- Obesity and endocrine factors: Excess weight will apply greater pressure on the plantar fascia, and endocrine factors such as diabetes.
- Occupational factors: occupations that stand or walk for a long time, such as teachers and policemen.
How to Prevent Plantar Fasciitis
- Try to wear shoes with softer soles and comfort during daily activities, and avoid wearing high heels for a long time.
- When running, try to wear sports shoes with good protection and cushioning properties.
- Soak your feet in hot water every night, and massage the soles of feet properly.(Note:Not more than 40 degrees Celsius for water temperature).
- For group with lack of exercise for a long time,you had better do step by step, especially for running,avoid over-exercising.
How to Treat Plantar Fasciitis
Fascia determines the complexity and long-term of plantar fasciitis treatment. Because it is not muscle tissue, So it is slow to recover.
However,Almost all sports injuries, the PRICE principle can be applied in the initial stage: P=Protect, R=Rest, I=Ice (Ice compress), C=Compression , E=Elevation ,Below are some commonly ways to treat plantar fasciitis:
- Soak feet with hot water (Chinese herbal medicine): First, promote local blood circulation on the soles of feet. Second, stimulate the nerves of feet, including acupuncture points, reflex areas and meridians. There are 6 main meridians on the foot, including three Yang Meridians (Bladder Meridian, Stomach Meridian, and Gallbladder Meridian), and three Yin Meridian (Spleen meridian, Liver meridian and Kidney Meridian). Third: Soaking feet can remove the cold-evil in the body. Fourth: Relax muscles and relieve fatigue.
Note:Avoid soaking feet with hot water in the acute phase of plantar fasciitis
- Ice compress: Put the ice cubes in the bag and seal bag,place the towel on the part where ice compress, and then put ice bag on the towel. Ice application can reduce the sensitivity of tissues to relieves pain, stimulates local vasoconstriction, slows down swelling of surrounding tissues, thereby reducing tissue metabolism and suppress inflammatory reactions. For sports injuries or acute arthritis,It will get the better result if applied in the first time. Note:If already suffer from inflammation, whether to apply ice or not depends on the clinical symptoms.
- Plaster: According to the theory of traditional Chinese medicine,Plaster with a variety of Chinese herbal medicines,which can stimulate nerve, expand blood vessels, promote local blood circulation, improve the disorder of surrounding tissues to reduce swelling, anti-inflammatory and analgesic.
- Physical therapy: such as: ultrasound penetration therapy, iontophoresis therapy or electrical stimulation of muscles. Physical therapy on the soles of feet indirectly causes nerves respond, adjust blood circulation, improve metabolism and immune, regulate nervous system , promote tissue repair eliminate pathogenic factors and achieve treatment. However.It is difficult to get results in a short period of time and need to keep for a long time.
- Stretch training
- Arch stretch
- Oral anti-inflammatory and analgesic drugs
- Local occlusion treatment
Best Pressure Points For Plantar Fasciitis
Below All acupuncture points can be massaged to promote local blood circulation,remove blood stasis, warm the meridians and relieve swelling and pain. If Moxibustion,preferred to Ashi,ST 36(Zusanli),KI 3(Taixi), BL 60(Kunlun) and KI 4(Dazhong) points. One or two times a day, each time 20 to 40 minutes. If Acupuncture,you can choose KI 5(Shuiquan), KI 2(Rangu), BL 60(Kunlun), Ashi, etc.
- A Shi point
- KI 1(Yongquan)
Location: in the depression in the heart of the sole, as felt when the leg is stretched, the foot bent and the toes curled. or the point is found in a slight depression created, when the foot is in plantar flexion (i.e. slightly extended, so the arches activate), about 1/3 the distance from the toes to heel. In other words, it’s where your thumb will naturally fall, in the center of your foot near the base of the big toe.
Location:Anterior and Inferior to the medial malleolus in a depression on the lower border of the tuberosity of the navicular bone.
Location:In depression midway between the tip of the medial malleolus and the attachment of the achilles tendon.
This is an arc-supporting insole made of high-quality MK/EVA/TPE/TPR/PVC materials. It has the advantages of thickening, soft, comfortable, breathable, shock absorption, and deodorization.It is suitable for people suffering from foot pain and can also be used as a health prevention tool.
Location:Posterior and inferior to the medial malleolus in a depression anterior to the medial attachment of the achilles tendon.
In a depression below the tip of the medial malleolus.
Location:On the lower border of the medial condyle of the tibia in the depression posterior and inferior to the medial condyle of the tibia. (or) On the lower border of the medial condyle of the tibia on level with the tuberosity of the tibia. (or) Between the posterior border of the tibia and gastrocnemius muscle.
Location:1 cun directly below KI 3 in a depression on the medial side of the tuberosity of the calcaneum.
- BL 57/UB 57(Chengshan)
Location:8 cun below UB 40 in a pointed depression below the gastrocnemius when leg is stretched or heel is lifted.
- BL 60/UB 60(Kunlun)
Location:In a depression between the tip of the external malleolus and the achilles tendon.
Location:3 cun below ST 35, one finger width lateral from the anterior border of the tibia.
Location:3 cun above the tip of the external malleolus in a depression between the posterior border of the fibula and the tendons of peroneous longus and brevis.
- BL 62/UB 62(Shenmai)
Location:In a depression directly below the external malleolus.
The treatment way for plantar fasciitis mainly depend on individual condition. Not one is guaranteed to be cured and combination treatment is better: Massage, foot spa, stretching training and moxibustion are all safe and effective ways to treat plantar fasciitis. However,Although acupuncture is also good to treat plantar fasciitis, But you had better do it with the help of professional.