SI 17 Acupuncture Point(Tianrong) belongs to the small intestine meridian of hand-Taiyang, which can relieve tinnitus and deafness, throat swelling and pain, and neck pain.
Location of SI 17 Acupuncture Point
Posterior to the angle of the mandible in a depression on the anterior border of the SCM.
What is the meaning of Tianrong
Tianrong, Tian,refers to the heaven.Rong, contain. The name of “Tianrong” means that the qi of the small intestine meridian gather and converge here. The substance of the point is the hot and dampness from the Tianchuang acupoint. After reaching this point, the hot and dampness-qi dissipates and cools into cloud-qi in the heaven and gathers in the point as if it is contained by the point, hence the name.
What is SI 17 Acupuncture Point used for
- Chest oppression, wheezing, cough, asthma.
- Ear issues – tinnitus, deafness.
- Both SI 16 & SI 17 are Window of the Sky Points and are useful for throat distention, swelling, goiters, lumps in neck a/or throat.
- Falls into the category of Window of the Sky points within the Tam Healing system.
- Tong Ren/Tam Healing System: Used to effect the circulation to the brain, and the facial nerves. Useful for facial issues such as TMJ, gum problems, etc. Also used with headaches, hearing issues, dizziness and/or high blood pressure.
SI 17 Acupuncture Point therapy
Press the Tianrong acupoint with the fingertips of both hands and do circular exercises for 3 times a day, about 2 minutes each time, which can clear heat and relieve throat discomfort.
Combined with Lieque points to treat neck pain;
Combined with Shaoshang point and Yuji point to treat swelling and sore throat.
Combined with Tinggong and Zhongzhu points to treat tinnitus and deafness.